Springs Stewardship Institute
Springs Stewardship Institute is looking for a hard-working, motivated individual with a background in the natural sciences to fill a full-time with benefits data technician position (starting wage $20/hr). Work for this position will involve primarily field data collection (approx. 25% of time; varies seasonally) and data entry at the SSI office in Flagstaff (75% of time). We are looking for someone who is passionate about natural resources, excited to do field work in remote landscapes, and comfortable taking the lead on data entry and office organization tasks. The ideal candidate will be able to work independently, but not be afraid to ask questions or express concerns. The candidate should also have strong writing and editing skills, as our data entry process includes summarizing often fragmentary field notes into coherent site descriptions.
SSI is a small nonprofit with a mission to promote and improve scientific understanding and stewardship of spring ecosystems across the Earth. Much of our work involves field data collection at springs across the southwestern US, although we occasionally work in other regions and internationally. In the office, we spend our time on data entry and other data management activities, report writing, applying for grants, updating our website and developing other outreach and promotional materials, preparing for future field work, and processing plant and invertebrate specimens. We also spend time improving and maintaining Springs Online, our publicly accessible database of springs data. Once or twice per year we organize and teach a workshop where we present our springs inventory and assessment field protocol to land managers and other springs stewards. As a small nonprofit, our office culture is friendly and collaborative, with staff members stepping up to help each other out and finish what needs to be done.
Primary responsibilities include:
– Data entry and springs information management using Springs Online, ArcGIS, Microsoft Excel, and other formats. This includes ensuring that all paper and electronic data files remain organized.
– Springs inventory and assessment fieldwork in remote areas. Field work is generally done in multi-day trips that often extend over weekends, and working 10-12 hour days when in the field.
– Organization and maintenance of field gear, including packing and unpacking for field trips.
– Assisting with preparation of reports and grant proposals.
– Assisting with website updates, Springs Online user permissions, and development of outreach and educational materials.
-· Assisting with training and managing volunteers, interns, and other junior staff.
– Other administrative and organizational tasks as needed.
– Curation of plant and invertebrate specimens.
Education and Experience Requirements:
– Bachelor’s degree in a natural science such as biology (botany or zoology), geology, hydrology, or geography. We will also consider candidates with a degree in data management or library sciences who have experience in a natural science-related field.
– Prior experience with field data collection and data management.
– Experience with or strong motivation to learn animal and plant identification.
– Prior experience (and comfort with) camping outdoors.
Abilities, Skill, and Knowledge:
– Strong writing skills
– Well-organized and detail-oriented
– Excellent verbal communication skills; comfortable working collaboratively to complete projects
– Possession of a strong work ethic and the ability to work independently and problem solve
– The position will involve field work in remote areas, so applicant should be physically fit and able to carry a pack containing field gear in addition to their personal gear, food and water for a long day in the field. Applicant should have experience hiking in the Southwest in rugged terrain.
– Knowledge of water resources, specifically springs and seeps (desired)
Wage and Benefits:
– Starting hourly wage is $20/hour.
– The position is full-time, averaging 40 hours per week.
– Holidays are paid, and sick time and vacation are accrued each pay period.
– SSI does not have an employee health insurance plan but we are willing to discuss cost-share to help pay for full-time employeesÃ¢Â?ÂT personal health insurance.
– This position is contingent on the satisfactory passing of a background check.
How to apply:
Please email cover letter and resume in PDF format to [email protected] on or before August 14, 2022. We will only accept application materials in PDF format.
Springs Stewardship Institute is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of all ethnic backgrounds and genders are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com