The Farm Between (TFB) is offering full time, 10 week, 6 credit internships. There are two internships focused on Nursery and Fruit and Berry Management.
The Farm Between is a perennial production farm managed with an ecological mindset. The farm is located in Jeffersonville, Vermont and encompasses multiple small orchards with polycultures of fruits and berries, a large flower meadow, 5 hoop houses and a historic house and barn. A significant business entity at the farm is the nursery which sells fruit trees, berry bushes and native perennial plants particularly focused on attracting pollinators. The farm also sells wholesale fruit and berries and creates delicious value-added products.
Nursery and Fruit and Berry Management Internship
This internship straddles two areas on the farm – the Nursery and the wholesale of Fruits and Berries. The first five weeks of the internship will be focused on the nursery and less so the fruits and berries, but as the season progresses and things ripen the fruits and berries will become a larger focus. The two areas are described in detail below. Keep in mind that the interns will have support from the on-site supervisor in all job responsibilities described.
The interns will participate in all aspects of nursery management, including the propagation and care of plants, display upkeep and retail sales and marketing
Job Responsibilities with support from on-site supervisor:
- Participate in the Monday morning planning meetings as an active member of the Farm
- Propagate hardwood cuttings and plant grafted fruit trees and manage nursery beds Dig, receive, and pot plants for sale
- Make sure all plants are properly labeled and water nursery plants and beds 2-3 times per week
- Set up nursery display area and clean and organize farm stand
- Assist customers and answer customers’ questions and offer planting instruction.
- Keep track of inventory in Quickbooks and receipts from cash sales
- Return customer calls and emails
- Create marketing materials for online marketing as well as on site
- Conduct and facilitate free workshops at the farm for customers of the nursery.
- The nursery is open Friday through Sunday 9-5 from late April to early June and interns will be expected to work some weekends. After that the nursery is open by appointment.
Fruit and Berry Management:
Interns will participate in planting, maintenance, harvesting, packaging, and sale of fruit and berry crops.
Job responsibilities with support from On-Farm supervisor:
- Weed and mulch plants and keep track of amendments added
- Manage compost pile
- Prepare each crop for harvest by mowing, scything, and lightly weeding around it
- Estimate yields and reach out to wholesale customers
- Write Facebook posts to highlight products available for sale
- Net berries, and check daily for birds
- Harvest, fill orders and keep track of harvest amounts