The Farm Between (TFB) is offering full time, 10 week, 6 credit internships, one internship focused on Ecological Landscape Management. The internships begin on May 31 and end on Aug 20 with a one week break (July 5-9). All interns are eligible for free room and board at the Farm.
The Farm Between is a perennial production farm managed with an ecological mindset. The farm is located in Jeffersonville, Vermont and encompasses multiple small orchards with polycultures of fruits and berries, a large flower meadow, 5 hoop houses and a historic house and barn. A significant business entity at the farm is the nursery which sells fruit trees, berry bushes and native perennial plants particularly focused on attracting pollinators. The farm also sells wholesale fruit and berries and creates delicious value-added products.
The intern will access and manage the landscape in such a way that it provides food and habitat for pollinators, beneficial insects, birds and other wildlife.
Job responsibilities with support from On-Farm supervisor:
- Maintain perennial flower beds, bumble kultur, pollinator sanctuary, the pollinator pathway and the willow labyrinth
- Plant annual pollinator beds
- Remove invasive plants such as poison parsnip
- Identify areas for new hugelkultur beds
- Build bird and bat boxes; monitor bird boxes through NestWatch and initiate engagement with other research projects
- Maintain milkweed patches and monitor for monarch butterflies.
- Collect biodiversity assessment data; analyse data collected and design continuing data collection protocols and calendars
- Create learning materials for visitors at the Farm; write newsletters and Facebook posts pertaining to the increase of biodiversity on farms