You are always welcome to visit Sterling College, but if you can make it to one of our Open House events you will experience the full picture of our approach to environmental stewardship education.
Mark your calendars for the following Saturdays:
- April 16, 2016
- July 9, 2016
- October 8, 2016
Summer Open House – July 9, 2016
Please join us this Summer, and get to know the remarkable Sterling College community. Open House is scheduled for July 9, with campus tours, a student panel, meals in our award-winning dining hall and a community meeting. Academic workshops during Open House are designed to give you a sense of what it’s like to study ecology, environmental humanities, outdoor education, sustainable agriculture and sustainable food systems.
We also provide opportunities for individual meetings with faculty members, admission and financial aid counselors, and learning support staff.
Whether you’re a high school student creating your college list, a student at another college who is thinking of transferring to Sterling, a parent of a prospective student, a sibling, or a friend, you are welcome at Open House, and we can’t wait to meet you.
Most Open House events are scheduled for Saturday, but if you would like to arrive early or stay late you are more than welcome. Depending on availability, we may be able to arrange overnight accommodations for you.
Prospective students who are at least 17 years old can request to stay overnight in a Sterling College residence hall.
Save your receipts for travel expenses! We reimburse up to $500 in travel expenses for students who enroll after visiting.
Tentative Summer Open House Schedule (subject to change)
- 8AM – 9AM (Dunbar): Registration & Welcome Breakfast, plus Open Folk Jam! Bring your own banjo.
- 9AM – 9:15AM (Dunbar): A Sense of Place: Introduction to the Day
- 9:15 – 9:45AM (Dunbar Lawn): Icebreaker with Outdoor Education students Rain Location: Dunbar
- 10AM – 11:45AM (Sterling Farm and Brown Library): Workshop Block 1, Sustainable Agriculture & Sustainable Food Systems Rain location: Draft Horse Barn, Brown Library
- 12PM – 1PM (Dunbar): Lunch and Welcome from President Derr
- 1PM – 1:30PM (Dunbar): Intro to Sterling Participatory Governance and Community Meeting
- 1:30PM – 2:15PM (Dunbar): Student & Alumni Panel
- 2:30PM – 4:15PM (Simpson 3, Cedar Swamp, and Climbing Wall): Workshop Block 2: Ecology and Outdoor Education Rain locations: Simpson 3 (Ecology), Outdoor Tarps (OE)
- 4:30 – 5:15PM (Simpson 3): Workshop Block 3: Environmental Humanities
- 5:15 – 6PM (Dunbar and Career Resource Center): Open Question Sessions with:Tim Patterson, Director of Admission & Financial Aid
Seth Barr, Director of Work
Favor Ellis, Dean of Community
Carol Dickson, Dean of Academics
Laura Lea Berry, Registrar
- 6PM – 7PM (Dunbar): Dinner!
- 7PM – 9PM (Admission Offices): Reception