Grew up near a tidal river in Rhode Island Teaching at Sterling since 1991. Married to Allison Van Akkeren. I enjoy the connection to the world that building and living in a small off-grid solar homestead provides. Also adventuring by foot, mtn. bike, ski or canoe. Currently, orienteering on cross-country skis or foot keep me busy training and competing.
|M.Ed. Environmental Science||Plymouth State University|
|B.A. Engineering Sciences + (Environmental Studies minor)||Dartmouth College|
- Ski-Orienteering – Named to U.S. World Championship Team since 2008 – 3rd place – Long Dist. at World Masters Ski-O Championship 2015
- U.S. Ski-O National Champion 2014,12, 10
- North American Champion 2012 (1st long distance, 1st sprint) Foot Orienteering – U.S. age group
- National Championship 2011 (2nd place Sprint), 2013 (3rd place Long),
- North American Champs. 2012 (2nd Long, 3rd Sprint) Adventure Racing
- Bitter Pill 12 hr-Adventure Race (1st place 2005, 2006,2009,2010,2013 ) (2nd place 2011)
- ACA Level 4 Whitewater Canoe Instructor
- Leave-No-Trace Trainer
- Wilderness First Responder
Three Books You Recommend?
- Radical Simplicity by Jim Merkel, is a keystone part of the Environmental Science class.
- Dirt Works, by Christine Byl – can be eye opening in Tools and Their Applications.