Sterling is equal parts cause and college
Whereas alumni and family members comprise the vast majority of the donor population at other colleges, Sterling College is fortunate to draw support from both its existing community and from people and organizations whose only tie to the College is a strong belief in what we do.
There are as many ways to support the College as there are kinds of supporters.
The Sterling Fund
This fund is the lifeblood of Sterling College and the most direct way you can fund financial aid, instruction, and the salaries and benefits of our committed faculty and staff.
Why give to the Sterling Fund?
- Because nearly 100% of Sterling College students receive some sort of financial aid from the College, and because your financial aid designation of your Sterling Fund gift will help the College attract the best students possible, regardless of financial means.
- Because experiential education requires axes, snowshoes, and airfare. Sterling students get out there–around Craftsbury Common and the world. Your gift to the Sterling Fund helps Sterling invest more in its students so they can get more out of their education.
- Because our faculty have chosen to follow their passions, and modeling that behavior encourages our students to do the same. By giving to the Sterling Fund, your support of faculty compensation helps the College attract and retain the best faculty possible.
The Sterling Fund benefits from gifts of any size.
Major Giving transforms the Sterling College campus, takes an initiative to a new level, or catalyzes the realization of a student or faculty member’s dream. Major gifts touch the life of every College student, directly or indirectly, and interweave the donor’s life with the history of the College. Recent major gifts to Sterling College have included:
- The Sterling Fund $1 Million Challenge. An anonymous donor helped launch the Nourish the Roots comprehensive campaign with a $1million pledge to match gifts to the Sterling Fund in the fall of 2014. The challenge will be completed in early 2016.
- The Behrend Admissions Center. The generosity of one of Sterling’s most stalwart supporters, David Behrend ‘60, enabled the creation of an admissions office complex that will provide a warm welcome to prospective Sterling College students.
- The Alfond Draft Horse Barn. A gift from Deborah Alfond ‘13 and her family provided the College with a beautiful, state-of-the-art draft horse barn to support our Draft Horse program and majors in Sustainable Agriculture and Sustainable Food Systems.
Major gifts comprise many of the goals of Nourish the Roots: The Campaign for Sterling. To learn more about the College’s major gift needs, explore the campaign priorities of Nourish the Roots below, or contact Topher Bordeau at 802 586 7711, x 130 or email@example.com.
The Margaret Sterling Society recognizes individuals and families who have included Sterling in their estate plans by making a planned gift to Sterling. Margaret Sterling Society members provide a needed foundation of future support for the College through their wills, retirement plans, or life insurance policies, often lessening their tax burdens in the process.
Members of the Margaret Sterling Society can designate their planned gift any way they choose: in support of the annual fund, towards financial aid or for a specific scholarship, or for addition to Sterling’s endowment.
Planned giving can also help Sterling supporters participate in Nourish the Roots: The Campaign for Sterling without impacting their current finances. To learn more about joining the Margaret Sterling Society, please contact Topher Bordeau, Director of Advancement and Alumni Relations, at 802 586 7711 x 130 or firstname.lastname@example.org.