According to a recent report by the Department of Labor, the average age of a U.S. farmer is 56 and approaching retirement age. There is clearly a growing need to cultivate the next generation of farmers in this country. Concurrently, there is a groundswell of veterans who are interested in farming after their military careers
Sterling College has launched a College-to-Farm program for five qualified veterans. Upon completion of a degree in Sustainable Agriculture or Sustainable Food Systems, each veteran will receive a $10,000 grant of seed money from the College to help start a food or farm based business venture.
- This program is only available to honorably discharged veterans or those currently serving.
- All applicants are urged to apply as quickly as possible. Priority will be given to those who apply for admission before July 15th.
- If you are a transfer student, you must be enrolled at Sterling for at least two years.
- You must complete a degree in Sustainable Agriculture or Sustainable Food Systems with at least a 3.0 GPA.
- The $10,000 grant is just that, a grant. There is no requirement to pay it back.
- After you graduate, The Center for Agricultural Economy will help with business and technical services as well as offer industrial kitchens, food safety training and business advising.
- After graduation, Yankee Farm Credit will offer business planning and consulting, and an additional $50,000 business loan for credit-worthy applicants.
Earn a degree
Receive job support
Qualify for another $50,000
Change. Your. Life.
The deadline for application has passed. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Additional information and resources can be found on our Veterans Page, though please feel free to contact our Director of Admission, Tim Patterson, with any questions you might have! You can reach him via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll-free at (800) 648-3591. Vermont residents can call (802) 586-7711 ext.124.
Act fast! There are only 5 spots available in this program and we want to hear from YOU!